[Amarok] rtl awareness, bg gradient, prev/next watermarks +

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Tue Feb 9 20:15:01 CET 2010

Am Tuesday 09 February 2010 schrieb Jakob Kummerow:
> But just having clickable labels is too much of a broken convention.
> So we need a smooth transition usability-wise, i.e. a visual
> indication that the labels are indeed clickable.

Ok, to pin it down:
-------------------------------
"Nobody cares whether there is an icon or what it does look like, the key
issue and only goal is to sell "this area can be clicked"."
-> Is this correct?

In this case, i do not believe that adding semi-glyphs* can be a working
solution, neither would be watermarks - full blown icons would probably. (with
the drawback of the strong icon attraction and animation etc. breakage)
---
*Arrows that are in positition, color and size attached to the string, merely
a cute ">"

*Reason:*
The justification for undecorated toolbuttons (with text/icons or not) and
menubar entries is their fixed position /only/, which makes their nature a
known convention, all other active elements keep a sys wide unique
structure/decoration to hint their interactivity.

*Consequence:*
So either we sell the clickability by a physical implication, e.g. an
(embedded) frame that looks like this thing can be pushed (in a physical
meaning) or we import the "label is clickable" property from other sources (in
this case probably hyperlinks)

I tried underlining first, but it looks very "dated", attached is a very
simple modification that just invokes the link color (please ignore the
remaining watermarks)

If this doesn't sign them enough, i'll show a framing solution next, but be
aware that this will either require some margin to the slider or clutter the
UI.

> Every single "OK" button in every single KDE app has a tick mark right
> next to the "OK" label - how can you stand that?!
"kcmshell icons". it's the first thing i switch off :)
aside this, it's not the same. the dominant structure in this case is the
pushbutton that visually makes icon & label a unity.

Cheers