New toolbar navigation

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Mon Feb 8 01:07:34 CET 2010

Am Monday 08 February 2010 schrieb Jakob Kummerow:
> > The label text is the most urgent: change it to "%track %title -
> > %artist".
>
> If by that you mean that the label text should be static (i.e. no
> fading between different information), you have my full agreement.
> Just show the track's title (maybe including the artist, but IMO
> that's not even _that_ important), nothing else. Year, album etc. are
> shown in the CV, after all.
You assume a certain degree of entropy in the title tag that is not
necessarily present.
If you run a random list on some classical tunes a row of "Allegro"s
"Andante"s and "Presto"s won't help you at all.
(Yes: If there's "Radio Gaga", "Like a rolling stone" and "Baba O'Riley" every
other information is entirely superflous)
Because of this uncertainity in the tag information system you cannot show a
fixed limited amount and as there isn't unlimited space the (ok: imho) best
option is to stack them in time.

> Fading labels may be a nice gimmick and look impressive at first
> glance, but they don't enhance usability, IMHO.
>
> > The next label should be prefixed with "Next Track: " and
> > "Previous Track: ".
>
> Nice idea!
Bad idea...
> At least as long as we haven't agreed on a design and
> position for prev/next buttons...
> Maybe it's better to shorten the prefixes to "Next:" and "Previous:",
> but that's a minor detail.
.. addressed here.
> Another idea to make it even shorter would be to just append/prepend
> Unicode characters such as ≫, » or > (resp. ≪, «, or <) to the label
> string.
You just waste a signifincat part of the label to no information. :-(

Greetings