Version Number of Upcoming Release

Milot Shala milot.shala at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 12:05:06 CET 2010

+1 from me on 2.3 as long as it has some major improvements/changes
especially the toolbar.

But I will propose to change the splash screen as well and make a 2.3 splash
screen if resources are available for doing so in order users can see right
from the start that the Amarok has been improved, what do you think?

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Téo Mrnjavac <teo at getamarok.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:38, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>
> wrote:
> >> I was wondering what version number we should use for the upcoming
> >> Amarok release. Originally, the plan was to call it "2.2.3". I still
> >> think that's completely fine from a developer's perspective (because
> >> with Git, any release really just becomes a snapshot, more or less).
> >> But maybe this would be a good chance to gather some extra PR, for
> >> free.
> >>
> >> We could simply call it "2.3", as this release sports a number of
> >> important changes. Most visibly that would be the toolbar, which looks
> >> very different from older versions. So I think we could justify the
> >> version jump, especially because it really is "just a name":
> >>
> >> Whatever we change this version string to, be it "2.2.3", "2.3",
> >> "WISTA Ultimate Edition", etc, it's basically just a name anyway. We
> >> could simply go to "2.3", without causing a huge work overhead.
> >> Everything else would stay as it is now (same splash screen, same
> >> everything). So, if this can get us some extra PR, methinks, we might
> >> as well use this chance :)
> >>

> >> What do you think?
> >
> > So, does anyone else have opinions on this? Can we reach a consensus?
> >
> Both 2.3 and 2.2.3 are fine for me, I'm leaning a bit towards 2.3
> since it might be good for marketing.

Milot Shala, Software Engineer
www.spartansoft.org | m.shala at spartansoft.org