New experimental toolbar by Thomas Luebking

Lukas 1lukas1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 23:44:33 CET 2010

What about starting to think about prev/current/next tracks not as
buttons, but more as an items on a wheel.

Similar aproach is used in web
http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/spinmenu.shtml but in
Amarok only 3 tracks would be displayed, as in amarok-touch-real.jpg
(attachment). To create an impression of wheel shape
amarok-touch-impression.jpg (attachemnt) the track in a middle has
font size of ~130% compared to left and right ones and all 3 tracks
has top alignment. The Currently playing track is bold.

To start playing selected track, click/tap it. To spin a wheel
(toolbar could navigate trough entire playlist, if needed) , use mouse
wheel, or if possible do a drag with finger (similar like in iphone
navigating contacts) and then tap a song to play it.

amarok-touch-spin.jpg (attachemnt) displays case, when 2 previous
tracks is displayed (single drag to left done). Currently playing
track is still bold to give better feedback of whats going on.

The beauty comes then used in netbooks or smartphones where space is
quite expensive, as such spinning could partially replace playlist
GUI. It would allow changing tracks in playlist while having
collection GUI taking full width. And this is done without any damage
to 'native' desktop usage.

Of course some slight animations/hover effects would be nice too :)

Another case, that is not covered by any mockups previously is when
window width is too narrow (same mobile device case) to fit all 3
titles (prev/current/next). Using wheel, previous track could be
hidden, leaving more space to other at the same time allowing user to
access it with drag/mouse wheel to the left.