Suggestion: UI keyword in subjects.

Lukas 1lukas1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 11:13:16 CEST 2010

What about (some brainstorm in the morning):
* adding ~0.9s time frame between the moment user enters radial area and
actual sound level change In those 0.9s click would be simply ignored (mouse
wheel, of course, would work as usual). This way accidental click should be
prevented
* displaying volume level in the centre of wheel, while hovering "active"
area, so giving additional feedback what wil happen if you click here
* allow at most 20-25% increase of sound level per click thus preventing
accidental 20 to 100% increases (leaving lowering sound level without limits
- it can't explode you eardrums)

As for slider on hover approach, its also option, but when creating hover
effect of size 100*20px over 80*80px element, it either creates blinking -
you hover over top corner or square, it transforms to rectangle and area
below becomes inactive, so it goes back to square. And the loop is started,
since its on hover, not on click; Its solvable by adding transparent
100*80px element below, but its kind a  hackish solution, I personally
always try to avoid.
Also, as You have mentioned, more mouse movement would be required

Have a nice day,
Lukas