Suggestion: UI keyword in subjects.

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Aug 5 01:16:56 CEST 2010

> If I may, current dial approach creates a nice symmetric and good looking
> toolbar.

I didn't suggest to change the dial's appearance. My suggestion was only to
display a slider on hover, precisely because I think the dial looks good.
Unless the user hovers over it, the dial would look exactly the same as it
does now, and I don't think it is a problem to break the symmetry while
hovering over it.

> What about instead of changing it to slider, *fix* current approach. In
> current approach on hover event does nothing more but just changes single
> color setting. Instead it should display what would happen if you click at
> that exact spot on a wheel. If you hover on a 10% mark, only 10% of a wheel
> should get highlighted, ir on the 95% - 95% etc.
>
>  The most important aspect should be high enough contrast (so user would
> spot how volume level changes based on a mouse movement). Might be by using
> 100% black; or some red shade; or a green bookmark icon; or using 2 colors
> - dark grey for a 0% to x%, and almost white for x% to 100% (where x is
> expected volume percentage; in current approach x% to 100% is left
> transparent)

This approach could work as well. However it really would be important to get
the contrast right. Plus we'd have to make sure that users won't accidentally
turn the volume up as at least some seem to be doing now.
That would be an advantage of displaying a slider next to the icon on hover:
The user would have to move the cursor over it to change the volume so
accidental changes would be prevented. On the other hand, your suggestion
would require less mouse movement to change the volume. So it's basically
safety vs. efficiency here.

> Best Luck,
>
> Lukas

Regards,