beta 1 tagging - Splash screen

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Apr 16 15:32:42 CEST 2010

On 4/16/2010 8:53 AM, Nanno Langstraat wrote:
> On the Wiki website of that package we finally find out *why* splash
> screen is disabled in Kubuntu:
>
>     https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuDefaultSettings
>
>     "The intention is to simplify settings, applications should just
>     work and splash screens, tips of the day etc just get in the way."

What an odd statement, wrt splash screens. They certainly don't make
applications not "just work" and unlike tips of the day windows that
must be closed, they don't "get in the way".

In fact, I'd be inclined to argue the opposite -- splash screens are
often used when your application takes a while to load, in order for the
user to know that something is indeed happening, instead of the user
clicking the icon a second or third time, thinking that it's broken
somehow (yes, I've seen users do this).

--Jeff