[Amarok] 527dd33 Finally: Amarok works with Phonon-VLC AND Phonon-X

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Sat Apr 3 03:50:34 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 7:41 AM,
Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:

>>> Congrats!!!
>>
>> Good news, everyone!
>>
>> Well first bad news: I had to revert my fixes in Amarok, because they
>> broke Phonon-GStreamer.
>>
>> Now the good news: After much detective work we figured out what was
>> wrong in Phonon-VLC, and now Ben Cooksley managed to really fix it in
>> the backend, so that we don't need any changes in Amarok itself.
>>
>> The magical commit is here:
>>
>> http://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon-vlc/commit/76c626b47f2aa5275559e622ceb8024e70336b38
>>

>> Now we still have some minor issues left in Phonon-VLC (e.g. volume
>> setting is a bit wonky), but mostly it can now be used without major
>> problems :)
>
> Mark, for testing purposes -- what needs to be done to build Amarok
> against VLC and/or Phonon-VLC?

You need a recent VLC and phonon-git. I recommend using VLC from git.
Here are the commands:

git clone git://git.videolan.org/vlc.git
cd vlc
./configure --prefix /usr
make -j3 && sudo make install

git clone http://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon-vlc
cd phonon-vlc
mkdir build
cmake -DCMAKE<blah blach blah your KDE cmake args) ../
make -j3 && sudo make install

kbuildsycoca4

and now select it in systemsettings or open the settings page from the
amarok config page

cheers,
leo