For 2.2: Moving Rescan Collection back?

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Sep 25 04:31:35 CEST 2009

Ian Monroe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
>> Putting it there just because of bugs in the program smells like a
>> workaround... or in other words, a hack. We did this a lot in Amarok
>> 1, and the tangled UI in some parts was the result.
>
> Yea, but we don't have much choice. We can't just pretend that major
> problems don't exist when they do.

I've heard from users a large number of "I tried Update Collection over
and over and it didn't help anything." But when I tell them how to find
Rescan Collection, it often fixes their problem.

Mark is right that it's a usability issue. Unfortunately, bad
discoverability is also a usability issue, and in this case I believe it
might be a more frustrating one for the end user -- if they had seen
Rescan Collection, it might have saved them from having to throw their
hands up and seek help. So we're caught between two instances of bad
usability, and a string freeze preventing us from fixing it.

I think that renaming the items, once string freeze is over, will
significantly reduce confusion...but in the meantime, I think the
benefit of having that option easily discoverable to the end user
outweighs the potential confusion (which there will be, and we will get
questions -- you just won't see the other side of it, since people that
use Rescan Collection to solve their problems are not as likely to come
and tell us about it. Which is almost an argument against it -- less
likely to file bugs, so problems less likely to get fixed.  :-)  )

--Jeff