Dependency Updates for TagLib and TagLib-Extras

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 20:21:10 CEST 2009

Tycho Andersen wrote:
>> So, making it mandatory is as much a way of making sure that the distros
>> properly package TagLib as anything else. Even if you don't need them
>> specifically, at the same time it's not exactly a hardship to enable
>> them -- and I'm guessing you don't need some of the other formats TagLib
>> supports either, so I don't see why there should be any concern over
>> enabling these.
>
> No concern, I was just curious. This seems like a valid explanation,
> thanks for
> the info!

Sure. One more tidbit:

The reason it was made optional (and off by default) was because some
distros worried about patent issues when the format was put in. These
worries were debunked; relevant patents cover the codec, not the metadata.

This was rather silly in the first place, because the code (the same
exact ASF code, and very similar MP4 code) had always existed in Amarok,
which was (to my knowledge) never relegated to some "non-free"
repository. So for those distros, it was a clear case of the left hand
not knowing what the right hand is doing, if you get my meaning.

--Jeff