2.2 release - equalizer

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sat Sep 12 19:46:21 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Artur Szymiec <artur.szymiec at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Dnia 2009-08-29, sob o godzinie 13:48 +0200, Mark Kretschmann pisze:
>
>  Oh, I've just noticed one rather critical issue:
>
> The equalizer configuration GUI increases the minimum size of the
> settings dialog enormously. I'm measuring about 895x665 pixels here -
> Far too huge e.g. for netbooks. We need to do something about this.
>

> Dear Mark,
>
> I would like to ask you when you'll have time to recheck again the Amarok
> config dialog
> after last changes - I check it on VBox with Kubuntu and it seems to be
> under 800 x 600.
> It fits almost all the screen in 800x600 but I think who uses KDE 4.xxx on
> laptop with screen
> resolution less then 800x600 ?
> Anyway if I'm wrong please correct me.
>
> >From October I'll start designing new gui which will go as agreed before
> to seperate dialog.
> But I think it can go to 2.3 release  - so for now and 2.2 I want to make
> sure that current dialog dimensions
> will not affect laptop users.

After my fixes it became a bit smaller, maybe 100 pixels less horizontally.
But this is still too large, the KDE HIG recommends a maximum dialog size of
640x480. Never versions of the HIG speak of 800x600, but I don't think it's
good if a dialog fills the complete screen on low end devices.

You might see this as nitpicking, but once you start with one bigger dialog
page, people tend to use the space for other dialogs too, and then it gets
hard to fix it all up again. It's a bit of a shame if one single dialog
increases the whole size for all settings pages, cause it took some work to
make it small in the first place. So I'd prefer to fix this before 2.2
final.

PS: Today I've experimented a bit. Removing the "+dB 0dB -dB" on the left
side saves some space. Is that acceptable though?

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer