Removal of inline playlists controls

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Mon Sep 7 00:32:34 CEST 2009

2009/9/6 Nikolaj Hald Nielsen <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com>:
> I just got back to find that one of the features that I have spent
> quite  bit of time and energy on recently have been completely removed
> from git master.
>
> From the commit text:
>
>  "Remove inline playback controls from the application, as discussed
> on IRC. We gathered that this
>   feature did not provide great feature value to the product, and
> instead added redundancy with a
>   third (!) toolbar equivalent. It also increased complexity in an
> already crowded playlist layout
>   configuration UI."
>
> "... as discussed on IRC" : How can you even pretend to have had any
> discussion about this without including th person whow rote the
> featere in question? I call BS!
>
> "We gathered..." : I would very much like to know who "We" is.
> Especially since this commit mail was also forwarded to the amarok
> mailing list, giving the impression that this is an official and final
> Amarok decision.
>
> "...this feature did not provide great feature value to the
> product..." : Honestly, at this point I could not care less about the
> actual arguments for this decision. I am mainly pissed to no end that
> I was not asked. It just might be that I actually have a plan or a
> reason for adding this stuff.
>
> In the past when people have asked me how Amarok was run as a project,
> I have always answered that it was a pretty pure meritocracy, with any
> major issues being resolved in a discussion where all interested
> parties could have a say. This however reeks of a quick and dirty call
> by some of the old guard carefully crafted to exclude me from having
> any say, and quickly published to the amarok mailing list so even if I
> did raise hell it will be hard to revert soince it has already been
> made official. I do _really_ hope I am wrong in seeing it this way!
>
> If this is how things will be done in Amarok in the future, I am going
> to have to seriously reconsider my involvement, as it is just not
> worth the aggregation to get sidelined like this.

Chill out guys, we've been doing these things (reverting, asking
questions later) for over 5 years now. Why is this suddenly such a
huge deal and why is everybody chucking a huge storm over it? The
point of the commit was indeed to start a difficult debate which would
not have gotten any traction otherwise.

--
Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/