QtMultimedia

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Sat Sep 5 15:28:01 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 00:15, Lydia Pintscher<lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> Heya folks :)
>
> I was asked to get feedback for a what-of situation from the Amarok team.
> Imagine Phonon doesn't exist. What would we need from QtMultimedia?
> Amarok has a playlist, this new API has one too; are they compatible?
> Such stuff.
>
> Brainstorming please!
>

> Cheers
> Lydia

My first thoughts:

* Trying to integrate playlist (I prefer to call it playback queue to
avoid confusion with other concepts that fit the term "playlist") into
the API is a bad idea in my experience. I can't really explain exactly
what the issue is but I would sum it up as the API intruding to much
onto the application territory.

Providing easy access to native playback queue implementations is a
good plan. (I know at least one example of such a thing, assume there
are more in the mobile space). But leave it to the application to
handle the playback order because it becomes messy pretty quickly.

* NIH is bad!!!