QtMultimedia

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sat Sep 5 10:09:54 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Mark Kretschmann<kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Lydia Pintscher<lydia at kde.org> wrote:
>> I was asked to get feedback for a what-of situation from the Amarok team.
>> Imagine Phonon doesn't exist. What would we need from QtMultimedia?
>> Amarok has a playlist, this new API has one too; are they compatible?
>> Such stuff.
>
> Hmm, I don't see how the playlist is related to it all. But Amarok
> wouldn't need a new one. It could be potentially interesting to simple
> applications that want to get started quickly. [1]
>
> Anyway, If Phonon didn't exist, I'd like to have a system with an API
> like Phonon (ideally the same), but with reliable backends.
>

> [1]: "Create a simple media player application" also seems to be the
> goal of QtMultimedia, quoting the article.

Lydia asked me to elaborate on our wishes for the future of Phonon. So
here goes some brainstorming:

I think what we need most is a stable, reliable, and easily obtainable
backend (with all plugins the user needs) for each platform. Also it
should implement the full Phonon API, not just a part of it. Currently
we have a plethora of backends, some of better quality, some of worse.

Maybe a cross-platform backend like VLC could be a solution to this
mess, one backend that works on all platforms. In theory it could be
easier to maintain, and possibly of higher quality than existing
solutions.

As I was saying sometime ago, "Phonon is Amarok's engine system in new
clothes.", with all its good and its bad sides. (but with a much nicer
API).

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer