[patch] Load media through KDE's KIOSlaves

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sat Sep 5 02:31:45 CEST 2009

Valerio Pilo wrote:
> In data sabato 05 settembre 2009 00:55:33, Alex Merry ha scritto:
>> From a quick look at taglib, the only way you can get it to read the tags
>>  is to copy the file to the local system.
>>

> This is hardly a good news, as it may be an incredibly slow process, wasting
> cpu, disk space and bandwidth in the meantime.

It also isn't true, at least not always. TagLib has multiple read modes
that read more or less of a file to trade off speed and accuracy. For
most files it would only need to read a very small amount of the file (a
few K, if that)...which is why people use it with SMB and NFS shares all
the time without an issue.

>> It would be useful if TagLib provided a file-access abstraction that you
>>  could plug your own implementation in to.  So KDE would implement one
>>  based on KIO, and Gnome apps would do one based on GVFS etc.
>>

> Yes, Maximilian Kossick suggested to implement some backend support too; that
> would be the most "future-proof" solution indeed.

TagLib used to be entirely KDE independent; there are now some features
that use KDElibs that can be enabled at compile time. Given this, there
is certainly a possibility that kioslave support could be added;
however, it should be noted that this can't always be relied on to be
enabled (but this at least puts it into the distribution's corner).

>> I would try to contact Scott Wheeler (the author/maintainer of taglib) in
>>  the first instance, though, to see what he thinks about it.  There are
>>  plans being formed (although I'm not sure any actual coding is being done
>>  yet) for TagLib 2.0.  I'm pretty sure you couldn't get this change in
>>  before 2.0, because it's too intrusive (TagLib has to maintain binary
>>  compatibility in the 1.6 series).

TagLib 2.0 development hasn't started, but now is the time to be
thinking about changes to make. When 2.0 development starts I'll be
porting it over to some DVCS or another. I would email taglib-devel, not
contacting Scott Wheeler directly.

--Jeff