[patch] Load media through KDE's KIOSlaves

Valerio Pilo valerio at kmess.org
Sat Sep 5 01:08:39 CEST 2009

In data sabato 05 settembre 2009 00:55:33, Alex Merry ha scritto:
> From a quick look at taglib, the only way you can get it to read the tags
>  is to copy the file to the local system.

This is hardly a good news, as it may be an incredibly slow process, wasting
cpu, disk space and bandwidth in the meantime.

> It would be useful if TagLib provided a file-access abstraction that you
>  could plug your own implementation in to.  So KDE would implement one
>  based on KIO, and Gnome apps would do one based on GVFS etc.

Yes, Maximilian Kossick suggested to implement some backend support too; that
would be the most "future-proof" solution indeed.

> I would try to contact Scott Wheeler (the author/maintainer of taglib) in
>  the first instance, though, to see what he thinks about it.  There are
>  plans being formed (although I'm not sure any actual coding is being done
>  yet) for TagLib 2.0.  I'm pretty sure you couldn't get this change in
>  before 2.0, because it's too intrusive (TagLib has to maintain binary
>  compatibility in the 1.6 series).

Ok, I'll definitely try emailing him, even if he does read amarok-devel.
In the meantime, I'll certainly make do with the filename alone :D

Now, about the patch: is anybody up for the ending-up-in-master part? ;)

--

Valerio Pilo
KMess developer team