Themes/Skins

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Oct 29 21:59:35 CET 2009

Hi all,
I'm pretty sure this topic has already been discussed quite a few times among
the Amarok team, but since it hasn't been on the mailing list since I joined
it and considering some recent discussions, I'd like to bring it up again.
Wouldn't it make sense to allow users to choose between different Amarok
themes or skins? We've seen many very nice, stylish and distinguished
approaches at slying the Amarok UI recently. The problem with many of them
was: They were _too_ stylish and distinguished to be sure that no user would
hate them. I have been among those that warned about the danger of alienating
users with those designs. On the other hand, I think it would be really bad
let all those great ideas go to waste.
The feature of skins or themes is especially popular among music (and other
media) players, and not without reason: Listening to and owning music has a
whole lot to do with identity. So for many people the tool they use for
listening to music becomes part of their identity as well. And for that reason
they want it's look to fit "their style" as well.
No I'm not talking about skins like those in Winamp 5 which can really
completely turn it's appearance upside down. I think Amarok should always look
like Amarok. but things like background colors / gradients / images or
buttons/icons can be changed without giving up Amarok's visual identity. Take
Plasma and kwin as an example. Users can change colors, transparency,
backgrounds, icons, yet it still looks like KDE 4. And imo the ability to
change all those things in KDE calls for being able to tweak (not completely
change!) Amarok's appearance as well: Amarok might look good with default KDE
settings, but what if I change colors, themes, icons? The hard-coded CV colors
are only one example where Amarok suddenly isn't in line with my desktop
anymore as soon as I change it's colors.
Thomas Lübking initially came up with his rather radical changes to buttons
when trying to get it in line with Bespin iirc, so what about other themes?
I'm pretty sure users what want Amarok to fit with them as well.

So what do you think? Might it be possible to find a compromise allowing users
to adapt Amarok to their style or their desktop without giving up on Amarok's
visual brand?

Regards,
Thomas