Unit Tests

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Wed Oct 28 21:37:28 CET 2009

2009/10/29 Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>:
> Heya,
>
> thanks to Sven Krohlas and Google (Summer of Code), we do have unit
> tests in Amarok now. However, I think we're not really using them to
> their full potential yet. Mainly that's because using them is a bit
> awkward, as the output is a fairly unreadable blob of raw XML.
>
> So I went ahead and wrote a HTML generator for that. It's a tiny Ruby
> script, with the actual heavy lifting being done by a XSL
> transformation. The output isn't exactly beautiful yet (we can still
> polish it), but it's world ahead of parsing that XML with your eyes.
> Here's some example output generated by my script:
>
> http://mark.kollide.net/amaroktest/Amarok.html
>
> This paves the way for my ultimate goal: Running the unit tests every
> night on a server, and then posting the results somewhere, or maybe
> even sending us a mail if there are critical regressions. Kevin
> offered to use his server for that, so I think we're almost good to
> go. My feeling is that once we have set this up we will start to use
> the unit tests much more, as it won't be a big hassle any more. So,
> should we go ahead with this plan?
>

> PS:
> Here's my script, and the XSL style sheet (XSL rocks!), if you want to
> check it out:
>
> http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/trees/master/tests/htmlgenerator

On this note, I've been working to get a Bamboo Continuous Integration
server setup to build and run Amarok. This would give us nice graphs,
html output of results, jabber notifications, and most important, be
run after every commit, so that we know exactly when a build breakage
occurred.

I'm working with Jeff to get this setup on one of his servers.

Note: I'm not saying that having more than one solution is bad, but
maybe we could pool our resources together and make one of these
happen faster?

Seb

--
Seb Ruiz