Buttons, was: About Amarok's interface design (follow up)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Oct 22 22:56:37 CEST 2009

> i think they are nifty on their own. but what role do they have in amarok?
> seriously, this looks like a completely different visual style from
>  anything else in the app. I don't understand how they could fit in the
>  toolbar. furthermore, i still can't see how the <> actually means pause
>  (like ||). and what's with the pentagon? :P

I agree with leo. These buttons do have a very distinct style, yet they don't
seem to fit with either amarok or kde in general. Things like that are great
for stylish application themes like in winamp, but not for a default look. If
the user can't chage the look of an application, the default look should not
be too stylized in order not to put off to many users. Probably many users
would like these buttons but also many users would not like them at all. The
current buttons are not really pretty but they are unobtrusive enough to not
annoy anyone too much. I know quite some users who don't like them for being
too "special", what would those users think about Thomas' buttons?

So: If we allow users to change theyr overall Amarok theme and ship these
buttons with a fitting theme, all is great, but forcing all users to use
these... no.

Regards,
Thomas