RFC: Only place one "add tab" item in the Context View toolbar

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Oct 21 21:38:06 CEST 2009

<colomar at autistici.org>wrote:

> I don't like it. Thoughts:
>
> 1) Adding tabs was one of the major reasons that we left the 1.x context
> browser in the dust. We don't like tabs. Yes, what we have now is tab-like.
> But they're also *not* tabs like normal window tabs, as each apply doesn't
> exclusively take up the whole CV.
> 2) With real tabs like that, there isn't room for multiple smaller applets
> in the CV. Tabs imply that they are exclusive windows. This completely
> breaks the concept of the context view for me.
That thought came to my mind after posting the mockup, too. You're right, tabs
work differently and I think having multiple smaller applets in one view is
good. So I won't fight for the tabs ;)

> Plus, I think it just looks worse. I'd rather go for making the applet
> toolbar more usable, more unique, make adding the applet icons like we
> talked about, rather than turning it into a tabbar which have been trying
>  to get away from in the first place.
Hooray for icons! Plus we _definitely_ need to make the color obey the current
color scheme, as light blue just looks terrible in a dark color scheme.

What I'd still like to keep is the possibility to add and remove applets
without having to switch to a "configuration mode". This doesn't mean we need
a tab-like look, of course. Having a single "add applet" button permanently
present and implementing either a single remove button for the currently
selected applet or a remove icon (which would have to be less obtrusive than
the current one) on every applet would help here. And always allowing d&d
shouldn't be a problem either (pretty much all interfaces allowing d&d allow
it always and users don't seem to have too much trouble selecting an item
without accidentally moving it).

So, buttom line, my new suggestions:
1. Make the applet bar obey color scheme settings
2. Add icons
3. Get rid of the "configure" mode

> cheers,
> leo