RFC: Only place one "add tab" item in the Context View toolbar

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Tue Oct 20 22:04:44 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>wrote:

> How adding and removing tabs should be done is still open for discussion,
> of
> course, but I think having it like other tab-enabled KDE apps would
> a) Increase consistency (although tabs here are used in a slightly
> different
> way)
> b) Would allow us to add and remove applets any time (no config mode)
> without
> having too many icons on the screen.
> The icons are only placeholders in case there will be icons for applets one
> day, if not they would be removed.
>
> Any detail could of course be changed. What I wanted to show is that imho
> the
> tabs look better (especially with a dark color scheme where the current
> blue
> applet bar looks really ugly), are more consistent with other apps and save
> time when adding/removing applets.
>
> So what do you think?

I don't like it. Thoughts:

1) Adding tabs was one of the major reasons that we left the 1.x context
browser in the dust. We don't like tabs. Yes, what we have now is tab-like.
But they're also *not* tabs like normal window tabs, as each apply doesn't
exclusively take up the whole CV.

2) With real tabs like that, there isn't room for multiple smaller applets
in the CV. Tabs imply that they are exclusive windows. This completely
breaks the concept of the context view for me.

Plus, I think it just looks worse. I'd rather go for making the applet
toolbar more usable, more unique, make adding the applet icons like we
talked about, rather than turning it into a tabbar which have been trying to
get away from in the first place.

cheers,
leo