Git weirdness

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 00:39:33 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Ian Monroe <ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
>>> Sorry about the git screw up that just happened.
>>>
>>> My clone was somehow borked, and I manged to re-commit 19 (!) existing
>>> commits in one. No idea what happened, but it seems no harm was done.
>>> Please check. Sorry for the mess.
>>
>> Yea not sure how you did it, but looking at gitk it looks fine.
>> Nothing got reverted, it was just committed in a different 'column'
>> (makes sense if you look at gitk).
>>
>> You made all the commits that might have been messed up (like I was
>> worried about the EngineObserver reversion you made), so likely if you
>> think everything is still there fine, then it probably is.
>
> Whenever I'm doing a "git rebase origin/master" from my local master
> branch I'm now getting a conflict in EngineObserver.cpp, although if I
> haven't modified the file. So it seems something is wrong in my clone.
> Merging works fine though.
>
> What to do? Create a new clone?

Try doing git rebase --pull origin master. Maybe you pulled from
master more recently in the branch then you have in your local master
branch.

But thats probably not it. Just merge. Its not the end of the world to
create a merge commit. The fact that you can marge when things get
messed up is one advantage git has over git-svn.  (with git-svn you're
only choice would be to create a new clone)

Check the gitk to make sure you're not repeating some crazyiness
before you push though. :)

Ian