Amarok UI analysis, proposal - link inside

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Wed Oct 7 19:36:36 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking at web.de> wrote:
> http://cloudcity.sourceforge.net/amarok/
>
> This is my personal view on what's not so good about the Amarok UI (the main
> toolbar in particular) and what could be done im my opinion to improve this.
>
> It is explicitly meant as base for further discussion and not some "I want it
> exactly this way" rant.
>
> I tried to explain my objections, if however anything remains unclear (English
> is not my first language) feel free to ask for clarification (and please report
> typos, spelling, grammar and verb errors ;-)
>
> This document is work in progress - hopefully...

FWIW, there is one aspect of your proposal that I agree with: We
should have symmetry in the toolbar. This is something that I had also
discussed with Teo lately on IRC. Ironically, one of the earlier
Amarok 2.0 pre-releases had the toolbar layout just like it is in your
mockup. We have then changed it, but I think ultimately we only made
it worse.

I volunteer for implementing the symmetrical toolbar. I had planned to
work on the toolbar anyway, and I also have ideas for improving the
look and usability of the play buttons. I can't give you an exact ETA
for finishing this, but I'll try to get it ready for 2.2.1 or 2.2.2.
Then we will have 3 different toolbars, and we can test what really
works best.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer