Improving the usability of Amarok icons

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Nov 30 21:30:43 CET 2009

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
>
> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I saw this conversation in the #amarok channel, and jumped on it:
> >
> > [00:12] <rindolf> How do I get rid of the Wikipedia view in the Context
> > panel? [00:13] <markey> erm
> > [00:13] <markey> click the "Wrench" icon at the bottom
> > [00:13] <markey> then you can add/remove applets
> > [00:13] <markey> discoverability issue?
> > [00:13] <markey> I thought it was obvious
> > [00:14] <rindolf> markey: no, it was not.
> > [00:14] <rindolf> I didn't understand what the wrench is doing.
> > [00:14] <rindolf> It should be somewhere on the wikipedia party.
> > [00:14] <rindolf> part-y I mean.
> > [00:16] <markey> hm
> > [00:16] <markey> ok, we might need to consider this then
> > [00:16] <-- GarthPS has left this server (Remote closed the connection).
> > [00:16] <markey> could be a usability issue
> > [00:16] <rindolf> markey: thanks. :-)
> >
> > Markey suggested I send this to the devel list.
> >
> > My suggestion is to add tooltips to all these little symbols/ icons,
> > as I have no idea what they are, and don't know how to find out. This
> > isn't just an Amarok problem, but KDE4 in general, Plasma widget
> > windows in particular. If I need to advocate more on-the-spot help to
> > some KDE devs, point me there.

> > But I would love to see such help in Amarok now. I never know when I
> > click on something new, like the little diamonds and Xs in each pane
> > top-right, what they will do, and how to get that pane back, for
> > instance. Yes, I figured it out, but why no tooltip?

The wrench icon has a tooltip in Amarok 2.1 ("configure applets..."). The
Icons in the applets (reload and stuff) will have tooltips in 2.2 (if I had
posted my suggestion for the tooltip texts before string freeze for 2.1, they
would have been in there ;) ).

As for the diamonds and Xs: I'd suggest "detach" and "close". But since these
are used in many KDE4 apps (dolphin, koffice, ...) , there should be a general
naming convention across KDE.

> Hmm.. everything should have tooltips. They are on a timeout so it
> doesn't interfere with normal usage and can only help.
>
> In this case of Amarok, I'm noticing that the widget configure button
> looks like the configure button for whatever button is right next to
> it (in my case wikipedia). This might be causing some confusion
> because now Wikipedia looks like it has two configure buttons. The
> configure button also acts as a modal toggle to edit the widgets,
> which might be confusing too. Not sure what to do about this though,
> needs a creative UI brainstorming session. It's a hard problem :)
>
> > I tend not to change the applet pane because I'm not really clear on
> > what changes I'll make, or how to back up out of it.

There had been quite some discussion going on on this list about the applet
pane toolbar but we haven't reached a conclusion yet. I'd suggest we have a
meeting on irc with everyone interested and try to find a solution together.

> > Valorie <==== in process of becoming part of the Handbook writing team

Thomas