Improving the usability of Amarok icons

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:32:08 CET 2009

I saw this conversation in the #amarok channel, and jumped on it:

[00:12] <rindolf> How do I get rid of the Wikipedia view in the Context panel?
[00:13] <markey> erm
[00:13] <markey> click the "Wrench" icon at the bottom
[00:13] <markey> then you can add/remove applets
[00:13] <markey> discoverability issue?
[00:13] <markey> I thought it was obvious
[00:14] <rindolf> markey: no, it was not.
[00:14] <rindolf> I didn't understand what the wrench is doing.
[00:14] <rindolf> It should be somewhere on the wikipedia party.
[00:14] <rindolf> part-y I mean.
[00:16] <markey> hm
[00:16] <markey> ok, we might need to consider this then
[00:16] <-- GarthPS has left this server (Remote closed the connection).
[00:16] <markey> could be a usability issue
[00:16] <rindolf> markey: thanks. :-)

Markey suggested I send this to the devel list.

My suggestion is to add tooltips to all these little symbols/ icons,
as I have no idea what they are, and don't know how to find out. This
isn't just an Amarok problem, but KDE4 in general, Plasma widget
windows in particular. If I need to advocate more on-the-spot help to
some KDE devs, point me there.

But I would love to see such help in Amarok now. I never know when I
click on something new, like the little diamonds and Xs in each pane
top-right, what they will do, and how to get that pane back, for
instance. Yes, I figured it out, but why no tooltip?

I tend not to change the applet pane because I'm not really clear on
what changes I'll make, or how to back up out of it.

Valorie <==== in process of becoming part of the Handbook writing team

--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .