Depending on KDE 4.3: Good to go :)

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Mon Nov 30 10:01:02 CET 2009

Hey all,

after some discussion with our distro packagers and our release
manager Lydia Pintscher, we have decided to bump our KDE dependency
from KDE 4.2 to KDE 4.3 as of today (that is, still in the Amarok
2.2.2 cycle). All packagers have indicated that this does not pose a
problem for them. Some of the benefits of this change:

* We automatically also depend on Qt 4.5, because KDE 4.3 depends on it.
* Qt 4.5 offers some nice features like QWeakPointer [1], which is
like a thread-safe version of QPointer. Replacing them could
theoretically fix a few obscure crashes.
* We can get rid of the deprecated methods of KEncodingProber that we are using.
* KDE 4.3 probably brings some bug fixes for Phonon as well.
* We can use new features of KDE 4.3, e.g. the enhanced system tray.
* Some more that I can't think of right now...

I intend to do the bump today (changing the CMake file, plus our
README), and I will also inform our packagers about the change.

Have fun :)

[1] http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qweakpointer.html

--
Mark Kretschmann