[GUI] Filer positioning, was: [Amarok] Move Playlist Layout config from toolbar to main m

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Thu Nov 26 21:51:15 CET 2009

"Flame" on where to put filterlines.

Am Thursday 26 November 2009 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> - In dolphin (as well as in kopete), the search bar is moveable. On my
>  system both are currently positioned above the content, though I'm not
>  sure if maybe it was me who moved it there in dolphins case (I'm sure I
>  didn't move it in kopete).
not "search" - "filter" ;-)

The _filter_ is still on the bottom (on my checkout - and i cannot move it)

"Search" is different between dolphin and kate, as the search is here a
frontend to nepomuk, strigi or whatever and not (directly) related to the
current window content. (browsers have the searchline on the top right as well
btw)

I must confess that i rarely ever used kopete (for justification: i rarely
ever use IM/irc ;-)
So, what is the search supposed to do there? (And does kopete have an
inputline on the bottom?)

> - In firefox, konqueror, kate and okular the lines are used for searching
> (outcome: Parts of the text are highlighted) whereas in kontact, kopete and
> amarok they are used for filtering (outcome: Part of the content is
>  hidden).
That's true, but notice that the search functionality in kate/FF is rather
related to the filter in amarok than to the search in dolphin (they operate on
similar content, though by different visualisation)
I don't know about kopete (and i wouldn't know how to test it either ;-)

> For these reasons, I think that although kontact is the only other example
>  for a filterline being placed above the content (I'd count dolphin and
>  kopete for neither side), it is closer to amarok in this regard than the
>  other applications mentioned.
KMail/Kontact has a "good" reason to do so - there might be a message window
below the storage (you could btw. come up with the bespin config dialog ;-P

Atm, I'd say we've dolphin vs. kmail/kontact (thought the pim filter is likely
more relevant than the dolphin one)
On the other hand e.g. the Qt assistant has the filter on top as well...
So i have to grant that there's no consistent scheme so far.

Aside this there're two major reasons why i'd suggest to place amarok filter
lines on the bottom:

1. the file view:
it brings a filter line on the bottom, thus amarok becomes inconsistent by
itself :-(

2. structure:
(i'll ignore the context view for this, as it doesn't match anything atm)

Amarok has the breadcrumbs for the media sources (local collectio, files,
playlists, etc) and the playlist sorting.

Right below are the filterlines (or in case of the fileview the toolbar

This creates some visual "overhead", while at least the (current) playlist
could badly need a terminator against the bottom toolbar. (we'll have to wait
for Nikolajs modifications)

Also e.g. the last.fm filter (is that a filter? - i've never use the service)
apparently gets a top padding -> http://amarok.kde.org/files/amarok_221.png

Cheers