[Amarok] Move Playlist Layout config from toolbar to main m

Téo Mrnjavac teo at getamarok.com
Sun Nov 22 14:05:36 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 13:56, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
> <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, here is my take on this.
>>
>> It seems that everyone on the team has really strong, and very
>> different, opinions on which stuff is useful to have in the playlist
>> toolbar and which is fine sitting in the menu. I don't think it is
>> unfair to expect that if we are so divided on this issue then so is
>> our user base. And yes, perhaps an option is something you add when
>> you cannot agree on one way that will work for all, but I think we
>> have proven to ourselves that there simply is no one way that will
>> make all of us happy.
>>
>> Hence I think the thing to do in this case to finally bury this issue
>> once and for all, wooden stake through the heart and all, is to make
>> this damn toolbar configurable. Lets use a Dolphin approach with just
>> the very basic stuff in there by default, have everything present in
>> the playlist menu, and then provide a Dolphin like interface for
>> adding/removing/moving stuff in the toolbar. I even seem to remember
>> Teo and Seb agreeing on this as an acceptable solution last time this
>> issue was raised.
>>
>> I am fine with the layout stuff not being there by default as it is
>> not something I expect new users to care a great deal about, but for
>> those that use it, having it easily available in the toolbar is quite
>> important in my opinion.
>>
>> Personally I could not care less about undo/redo and show current
>> track being in the toolbar as I never use these :-)
>
> Thanks, just one thing that I'd like to explain that makes a difference here:
>
> Clear, Undo, Redo, Show Active Track - these are all actions, directly
> related with the playlist. They definitely belong in the toolbar if
> only for this reason.
>
> Layout configuration however is a setting (which also contains some
> actions, making it a bit of both). But it's more of a setting. This is
> why it's unlike all the other icons in the playlist toolbar, it makes
> it special.

Even it it was definitely a setting by all means, which is not (the
whole menu contains a bit of both), it seems a bit silly to me to
throw away an often used setting and leave in an action that's used
rarely.
I can probably count with the fingers of one hand how many times I've
used Show Active Track in my life.