Shoutcast.com Internet Radio Stations removed from latest Amarok release & Info from Shoutcast

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Nov 18 15:08:02 CET 2009

S G wrote:
> I'm disappointed with your response and the contents of your note.  It
> was the info at the references I made in earlier emails that prompted me
> to contact AOL.  The "random dude" at AOL was the individual who
> responded to my challenge about the stated restrictive nature of the
> End-User ToS that your website purported to cause the group to eliminate
> the feature from the software.

I'm not aware of any such statement on our website. And as we informed
you, the problem is the lawsuit filed against VLC, the reasons for it,
and the potential implications for other projects. We don't have the
funds to defend ourself in a lawsuit; so until we can be sure that we
will not also be hit with one, the feature needs to stay out.

> I'm not sure why your group doesn't understand the users' request to
> have this included in future releases

Stop making baseless assumptions. We've told you repeatedly that we will
bring it back as soon as we are satisfied that all issues are resolved.

> but I guess the software
> development is developer-driven and if that is what this group wants, to
> the exclusion of my and other users' requests

Stop spouting your crap. Amarok development has always been user-driven;
we got to be popular for exactly this reason. You clearly don't know the
history of the software, you don't know what you're talking about, you
ignored our explanation of why we removed the feature that Leo and I
sent in two separate emails last night, and you're misrepresenting us to
the ShoutCast guys (hi Faisal), which I definitely don't appreciate
since we hope to work with them, not against them.

> turn to other software that satisfies our end-user needs.

OK -- go away. Fine by me. We will be happier and more easily work this
out without you complicating and misrepresenting the issues involved.

Other Amarok devs -- you'll have to follow up, as I'm leaving five
minutes ago...

--Jeff