Release Management

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Thu Nov 12 08:44:32 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
> Just been thinking about some of the problems we've been running into
> with our scheduling of development vs bugfixes vs buffer times to
> release.
>
> Is it possible this is all coming down to a product management
> problem? We have excellent developers, an excellent community &
> release manager, but a very clear lack of product management.
>
> Now now, before you all throw up your arms - I'm not saying we should
> introduce a "product manager" role into the Amarok community. Nobody
> likes being told what to do when.
>
> But perhaps we could use tools to assisting us in synchronising
> release management with product road maps?
>
> I'm personally thinking of JIRA (an alternative issue tracker) which I
> recently wrote about on a kde-core-devel thread [0]. Now this does of
> course have it's draw backs, the most obvious and heartbreaking one
> being that we'd have to somehow manage two issue trackers. Not that we
> do the greatest job on bugzilla, but this could be because of bugzilla
> crappiness in this regard. An option could be to use JIRA as a
> "private" bugtracker to begin with just for planning?
>
> Not really sure of answers here, like Mark just trying to see if there
> is anything we can do to make the process smoother.

Agreed on all points. I'm still trying to convince KDE to migrate to
JIRA (see latest mail I posted in the core-devel thread), although
realistically I doubt it would ever happen.

Seeing that KDE usually doesn't get anywhere soon, I'm open to
experiments with using JIRA only for Amarok. Maybe even the problem
with cross-assigning reports from JIRA<-->BKO could be solved somehow,
e.g. with a dose of smart scripting grease.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer