Release Management

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 01:34:32 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Just been thinking about some of the problems we've been running into
> with our scheduling of development vs bugfixes vs buffer times to
> release.
>
> Is it possible this is all coming down to a product management
> problem? We have excellent developers, an excellent community &
> release manager, but a very clear lack of product management.
>
> Now now, before you all throw up your arms - I'm not saying we should
> introduce a "product manager" role into the Amarok community. Nobody
> likes being told what to do when.
>
> But perhaps we could use tools to assisting us in synchronising
> release management with product road maps?

Would maybe a scrum tool make more sense? If we still have bugzilla,
it would make sense to a tool thats oriented on task tracking. True
you can use a issue tracker to track tasks, but why not using a task
tracking tool to track tasks.

Note that I'm not saying that Amarok start using scrum for
development. Scrum basically only works if your paid to do it. :) But
scrum tools have a list of back log items (overall feature goals) that
you can then break up into smaller tasks. And you can see who is
working on what. Instead of sprints we could have Amarok release
dates.

Granted I've only use ScrumWorks and its closed source and $$$ as far
as I know. But for instance Agilo has an open source version
http://www.agile42.com/cms/pages/agilo/

Just another idea. :) Both of these only work if people want to do it.

Ian