Themes/Skins

Lee Olson leetolson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 06:42:37 CET 2009

Due to all the discussion about buttons and the various opinions on what
looks best, i'm thinking it might be nice to allow customization for such an
item that is so visible to the user.

Attached is a mockup. This would allow the user to preview installed button
themes, and if decided upon, maybe even offer a way to get new themes,
install themes, or remove unwanted themes.

Shipping a few button themes would allow some customization while
maintaining a standard for button theme construction. If this were the case,
it would probably be best to provide a single button svg for each theme
instead of including each with the default theme file.

Perhaps if a standard for button theme construction is clearly defined,
custom themes wouldn't be as much of an issue, and would provide the user a
bit more flexibility for customization if they do decide to create a custom
theme (and maybe even share it).

This same idea could probably be extended to color schemes, allowing the
user to preview what a dark, light, or defined color scheme would look like
before applying it.

If a hand-full of good button themes / color schemes are already provided,
that should eliminate most of the need for users to create their own themes.

- Lee