Amarok 2.2.1 tagging

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 11:58:41 CET 2009

> Some of us have recently discussed on IRC (not the best place for
> making discussions public) if we might have to delay the release by
> about one week. This is mostly because of concerns whether we will
> have enough time to test major new features like the Script Updater
> and the new Collection Scanner code. We can't really afford making any
> mistakes with those.
>
> I'm not directly advocating a delay, but I think that we should get
> used to the idea, in case something goes wrong. It wouldn't mean the
> end of the world, IMHO.

If we need to delay the release this time for the reasons you mention,
then so be it.

BUT. This is exactly the reason that there exists such a thing as
feature freeze. If we really want to commit to this 6 week release
schedule, we need to start respecting this and merge in our big new
features within the first 3 week. (the sooner the better). If not,
then delays like this will be the norm rather than the exception.

I know it sucks having to sit on a feature, but with the new release
plan, the maximum time people will have to sit on stuff is 3 weeks,
that should be bearable.

- Nikolaj