proposing API version

Peter Zhou peterzhoulei at gmail.com
Thu May 14 07:35:33 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'd like to add version info into the scripting.

We may want to add some API functions, but that will make the old
Amarok verison not compatible with the new scripts.

The API verison will separate from the amarok version. And my point is
NOT to break the APIs.

for example, we may have API version 1.0.0 for amarok 2.1.0
and API version 1.0.X should also support API version 1.0.Y (X>=Y)

It is not likely we would remove or change some APIs, which we will
need to make the API 1.1.X and that means we would no longer support
the current scripts.

The API info will store in the spec file, which leaves clue for Amarok
to alert the user updating their script. The users will not receive
such alert if the API version compatible with the newest Amarok.

The other way is to scan the scripts to test if it can be run. But it
is more complicated to implement though.

--
Cheers,
Peter ZHOU