Time based releases?

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 23:06:49 CET 2009

> Two way syncing is going to cause issues I think.  I really feel we
> should just stick with svn until git.kde.org is set up (and efforts
> should be focused on making that a reality, rather than on a temporary
> solution).  SVN has worked fine for us for the entire 2.* development
> process, and I don't think that having git would have made more
> features appear (and definataly would not have made more bugs be
> fixed, which is more important at this point...)

I am fine with using svn until KDE makes the change and has full
scripty/translation/commit-mails/whatnot support working. The only
time I really find git useful is when I am away with my laptop for
extended periods and for that a standard git-svn checkout works fine
(I did find jeff's server useful thought when working on a very large
branch as it allowed me to work on the same code on multiple machines,
even though only one could sync it back to svn). This whole "sharing
branches" discussion is highly theoretical IMO and I do fear, as I
have often expressed, for our very transparent development process if
all the interesting work starts happening in branches and you have to
check out 20 different once to get a feel for where development is
heading.

- Nikolaj