Time based releases?

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Mar 27 10:16:39 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> So we've recently been discussing something on IRC. The gist of it:
> "Hey, everybody is moving to time based release schedules. Let's do it
> too!"
>
> I've been proposing doing something like a "2/2" scheme: 2 months
> features, 2 months bug fixing, which would leave us with an
> approximately 4 months cycle. Some others on IRC agreed to this scheme
> too, in general.

If possible I'd like to revive this thread. I just had the following
short conversation with Leinir on IRC, which reflects my feelings
pretty well:

10:00 < markey> man we really need that beta1 release, I predict it
will refresh our batteries, create a big hype, and be a Good Thing
(TM) in general
10:01 < markey> right now my motivations are a bit on a low point,
partly an effect of not releasing for such a long time
10:01 < markey> shorter releases cycles ftw!
10:01 < markey> pretty please
10:02 < markey> users keep posting about 2.0.x, which is ancient by
our standards
10:02 < leinir> Shorter cycles do seem to work :)
10:03 < leinir> i rather suspect git will help us with that as well...
10:03 < markey> yep :)
10:03 < leinir> that whole branch thing - being able to develop new
stuff without trashing the whole app for months at a time :)
10:03 < markey> I still think this "4 months scheme" has a lot of merit
10:03 < leinir> Indeed :)
10:03 < markey> cramming too many new features into one release makes
it hard to get everything functional
10:04 < markey> we're seeing that right now

For the love of Seigo, let's get into a shorter, predictable release
cycle. It's obvious to see that the project would benefit from it.

...and ignore Ian on this topic; he managed to bring this whole debate
into a stasis single-handedly, without providing any useful input :p

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer