Improving Amarok Current Track Applet look

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 15:38:07 CET 2009

2009/3/26 Magnus Bergmark <magnus.bergmark at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Dan Meltzer <parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The other issue with putting these words on the right is that for
>> really long track/artist names these words might not be shown...
>>

> Wouldn't that always be a problem with any track name? If a track is long
> enough to hide the "On" text, it would be too long to be displayed in full
> length when an additional five characters are added to it anyway.
> Personally, I believe that there needs to be a way to see the entire text
> even if it is too long - with or without the "on". Scrolling, font scaling,
> scroll bars, whatever. Removing "On" just "postpones" this and does not fix
> it - it merely hides it and makes the "critical length" around five
> characters longer.

Well, not exactly.

The "on" is contextual information, it clarifies what the next line is
referring to.  If one has a long album name, the visible text is
usually enough to be able to determine what the album name is, even if
it can't be entirely shown.  If one wants to know the entire name,
they can mouseover the text and get the full information in the
tooltip.  The "On" and "By" is important information, especially when
some album names are other artist names.  The "on" and "by" should
always be visible.  I suppose we could do this by eliding the name
before it, but that would look ugly..

why not put the "on" and "by" at the beginning of the subsequent line:

"Foo
On Bar
By Baz"

Rather than:
"Foo on
Bar by
Baz"

This seems to keep the related information together better.

Dan,