Time based releases?

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Mon Mar 16 12:59:23 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/14/09, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> But if we do this, please let's not take the same release numbering
> approach that some other projects with which we have close ties (and
> which start with a "K") use, in which the 2.2 betas and release
> candidates have 2.1.[high number] version numbers?  Can we agree to
> use 2.2.betaN or 2.2.rcN instead?  Please?

I fully agree on this point. In fact in Amarok 1.x times, we used to
call our betas simply e.g. "1.4-beta1".

For Amarok 2 this was changed (although it was never properly
discussed) to this new scheme, where "beta1" would become "1.9.0" or
so. I understand this was done for technical reasons (easier for
packagers), but I was never happy with it and found it confusing.

Also, since the old scheme had worked fine for so many years, why change it?

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer