The Amarok Bailout Bill

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:12:52 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Ian Monroe <ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
>>> I agree with most of the comments here. I develop on Amarok because...
>>> I like it, and it's completely voluntary. I don't think we should ever
>>> be *doing anything* just for the potential money involved (that is, do
>>> something we don't want to do but are forcing ourselves). Also, i
>>> simply don't think that ever could happen---FOSS is too deeply
>>> ingrained in us.
>>>
>>> Also, from personal experience, the amount of loathing that
>>> discovering xchat provides non-free binaries on windows created...that
>>> made me decide never to use xchat again, on any platform. I don't want
>>> users to hate amarok. I want users to love amarok.
>>
>> I completely agree with what Leo (and others) have written in this
>> thread: It's a no-go.
>>
>> Sorry, but I really don't think that this is the right way to generate
>> cash with the project - even if in general I'm very much striving to
>> make it financially successful for its contributors. There are viable
>> alternatives, and I think we are already starting to explore them.
>
> I also think straight-up selling the Mac binaries is a bad idea. Is
> the "pay up front" method really what Indie developers do on Mac? Is
> that even what illogic-al was suggesting?
>
> However I've always felt a nag-screen on Mac and Windows wouldn't be a
> bad idea. It could be pretty modest, like Azuerus which only comes up
> when its newly installed or upgraded.

Only if we put the nag screen on linux as well.  The goal is to
provide the same experience on all platforms.  Mac/Windows shouldn't
be shafted just because they are used to being shafted.  Especially
when none of the developers use windows (Or should we give Saroengels
a share of the money from the nag for making it possible at all?) And
only a few use macs.