GSoC improvements

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 01:29:25 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> I have been thinking about what we can improve this year wrt to the
> code that gets written during GSoC. As last year was the first year we
> had a lot of newcomers as students I think there are some things we
> can improve this year on the coding side.
> One big problem last year was that some students commited huge chunks
> of code that only very few people or even no-one reviewed post commit.
> So I guess we should make it very very clear that we want to see
> smaller commits on a more regular basis.
> Is there anything else that could be useful? What is your opinion on a
> more formal code review pre or post commit?

I feel like the mentor should be responsible for code review of the
student.  I think we need to setup crucible to make this more doable
(it's annoying to review code on the mailing list).  Whether or not it
happens pre or post commit can probably be left up to the
mentor/student pair, or perhaps reccomend pre-commit review for the
first few commits, and then when the mentor feels confident that the
student will a) maintain style and b) has a good idea of the overall
amarok design, it could switch to post-commit review.

Dan,