2.1.0 release plan proposal

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 16:14:32 CET 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Lydia Pintscher wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 15:41, Orville Bennett <illogical1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> So you're going to have packagers do the job that developers are
>> supposed to do?
>> I'd say good luck with that but I really hope it fails miserably. If
>> no one cares about 2.0.x such is life. It's quite tacky, not to
>> mention irresponsible, to go sending off patches to packagers because
>> it was too "hard" to get the people who should be doing it to do it.
>
> No my point was that if we say get two or three patches backported
> (looking at 2.0.2 we get five maximum) it is hardly worth the hassle
> doing a release. It costs me and everyone who helps me quite a lot of
> time.
I see what you're saying, but if these patches are important enough to
send off to packagers (who will release them), doesn't that implicitly
make then important enough to make a release from?

>> If one patch qualifies as important, then it's important enough for a
>> 2.0.3. What about those who don't join the (super secret might I add)
>> amarok-packagers list? They, and by proxy our users through them,
>> should miss out on this (admittedly) important patch(es) because we
>> were too lazy?
>
> I am pretty sure we have every distro we know of that packages Amarok
> on that list my now. If one is missing let me know.
My point was all the ones we don't know of.
LFS, Sourcemage, the 10,000 other specialty distributions which exist.

>> See above :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Lydia
>> p.s. I'm not blasting you personally btw, just the idea :-D
>>

>>> --
>>> Lydia Pintscher
>>> Amarok community manager
>>> kde.org - amarok.kde.org - kubuntu.org