Foldable toolbar - questionable usability

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sun Jun 28 22:18:29 CEST 2009

Hey all,

I just saw in trunk that a change in the toolbars has arrived. The
toolbar under the playlist can now be "folded" (hidden) with an arrow.
The intention is noble (saving vertical space), but in reality we're
merely gaining about 40 pixels space from it, if you subtract the
height of the arrow widget itself. And if the toolbar is shown, we
actually lose space due to said arrow widget.

I find it questionable if this minimal reduction of space is worth the
added confusion - it's not clear what the arrow is actually doing, and
where there toolbar went.

I've attached two screenshots of the new widget in both states, both
folded and unfolded.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer