Google SoC History

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Wed Jun 24 19:57:21 CEST 2009

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may know this alrady, but I have taken over coordination for the
OpenUsability Season of Usability. It is very similar to the Google SoC except
we do usability work.

I am interested in finding ways the SoU can retain more of our student interns.
And so I am looking at KDE's involvement in the Google SoC. There have been a
ton of Amarok projects for the Google SoC, so I thought I would start with
you.

I created a Googledoc spreadsheet with every KDE SoC project up until 2008.
(Before you yell "Wiki!" I thought a Googledoc would be more convenient
because you can sort and stuff) Listed are the year, student name, project,
mentor, and a few other columns:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=rmUQnpZNoku8j3w5aqya_VQ

I would *greatly* appreciate it if those of you who have mentored SoC projects
(or perhaps you are a student turn developer) to fill out the rest of the
columns for your project. These columns are questions aimed to see if students
continue contributing to KDE and how long:

Was the project code committed? Yes or No
Did the student continue to contribute after the SoC? Yes or No
How long did the student continue to contribute? < 3 months or 3-6 months or
6+ months or Still contributing

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

~ Celeste