Status update GSoC visualizations

Martin T. Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Mon Jun 22 22:45:51 CEST 2009

Hio.

So I'm still stuck with trying to get my Xine stuff to work. While there
hasn't been much proper progress, I think I have finally learned how Xine
works, and how Phonon-Xine interacts with it.  I'll probably write down what
I've learned and put it in the phonon repo once I finish up my stuff, and I
get that confirmation that I'm not completely off target.

I now think that I have a more or less complete Xine plugin structure, only
issue is that I get a segfault, and what seems to be a corrupted stack¹.
(The issue seems to be that when Phonon-Xine loads in the new file, Xine first
wants to explicitly stop the currently playing stream, and ends up calling
post_audio_set_property, and when this tries to dereference the pointer to my
plugin, something dies. I've checked that original_port->set_property is set
in the constructor of my plugin.)

Good news is that I think this should work, and I think I finally have a good
overview of how Xine works.

Also, VLC is nearing its release, which means that phonon-vlc should be
released pretty soon too. From what I've seen of the libvlc API, implementing
support in that for AudioDataOutput will be a much more pleasant and easy
undertaking.

1: http://photo.klette.us/i/73/49610-foo1.png

--
martin t. sandsmark