GSoC Report: Week of Mon 22 June

Alejandro Wainzinger aikawarazuni at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:07:36 CEST 2009

Today I committed my media devices refactor.  It's still not how I'd
want it to be and there's many obvious possible improvements, but I
need it out there for code review and all that good stuff.  What it
did accomplish though is: unified and standardized way of implementing
a media device, removed repetitive code like checking for duplicate
tracks before doing copies, dealing with connection and so forth.  It
also provides both threaded and unthreaded means of copying tracks,
depending on whether or not the library for the device supports
threading (read: KIO dies horrible deaths in threadweaver).  As a
bonus, I directly implemented the ability to remove tracks (some or
multiple) the same way you can implement copying tracks: through
CollectionLocation.  The CollectionTreeView will now pick up whether
or not you are writable and provide your collection with a standard
remove option (with dialog).  Concerns have been voiced about writable
collections allowing remove, so I might add an extra parameter which
says if your collection "can remove" or similar.

I'll be writing a small tutorial soon on how to support new devices,
but more important is that I can now start the real GSoC work.

First up for this week: playlists for Ipods and MTP devices.  Bart's
work should make it easy to do, but we'll see.  Barring any more
medical emergencies, run-ins with the law, or general world mayhem,
things should proceed quickly from here on out =)