Organize files dialog: Dangerous, it *really* kills your kittens!

Alejandro Wainzinger aikawarazuni at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 01:02:04 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Ian Monroe<ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Myriam
> Schweingruber<schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this is the second time today a user loses almost all of his
>> collection due to the "Organize files" dialog. Luckily so far it only
>> happened to SVN users who are a bit more tech savy who can eventually
>> try to recover stuff with the appropriate tools, but the normal user
>> might well try that option out some day and be very angry for the loss
>> of his music.
>>
>> "Organize by Artists initials" is set by default, and, unless the user
>
> Not sure what that has to do with it. :)
>
>> is very careful, the whole collection is moved to another folder
>> structure on the collection drive. If the users doesn't have write
>> access to it, everything is moved to /dev/null without warning! Also,
>> no warning is given if the drive is full, neither...
>>
>> It's neither evident for the user to see that the files will be moved
>> nor where those will be moved, as the dialog just executes without
>> warning and doesn't explain what is happening at all.
>>
>> I strongly suggest to remove this option ASAP until somebody finds
>> time to make this behave correctly, with the appropriate warnings and
>> usability changes.
>>
>> Also, we should patch 2.1 to disable this option there, too, IMHO.
>
> This makes sense to me. I looked at the code some, its pretty
> complicated since its generalized to deal with iPod and such as well.
> So it does do a copy at one point, and then a deletion at another
> point. Its easy to see how if the error handling isn't right (its even
> listed as a //TODO in SqlCollectionLocation) that lost music would
> occur.
>
> It makes sense to me that *only* move actions should be allowed. If
> kio_move isn't possible (such as a computer to an iPod) then removing
> the source files shouldn't be an option. QFile::remove(
> sqlTrack->playableUrl().path() ) is just too dangerous to every appear
> anywhere in our source code, IMO.

As I understood it, CollectionLocation will check if the Collection is
writable before allowing copy, move to, or remove from a collection.
That said, if it is writable I don't see why it's too dangerous to
appear.  I surely don't mind and actually like having tracks deleted
from iPod if I'm just moving them to my laptop.