UI for Eqs

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Jul 21 00:44:03 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Artur Szymiec<artur.szymiec at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/20 Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu>
>>
>> Nikolaj has made screenshots of Artur's UI for the eq:
>> http://nhnfreespirit.kollide.net/pics/amarok%20eq%201.png
>> http://nhnfreespirit.kollide.net/pics/amarok%20eq%201.png
>
> The second screenshoot is:
> http://nhnfreespirit.kollide.net/pics/amarok%20eq%202.png
>

>> To me it looks fine, Nikolaj isn't so sure. But really neither of us
>> use the equalizer so have little basis to form an opinion, thus this
>> email. Personally I think presets are kind of a sham, probably
>> invented by cheap stereo manufacturers to make up for their lack of a
>> real eq. But then again people want it, and who I am to question the
>> people. ;)
>

> So maybe let include it as it is in git and announce it so people can build
> and test it ?

This isn't a bad idea. Lets see what people say in this thread.

>> GIS found this screenie of 1.4 for comparison:
>> http://ze.phyr.us/facta/picturae/autoEQ.png
>
> So would you like to keep this look from 1.4 ? (I can add such graph below
> sliders in current implementation)

I don't know. That's why I asked. :)

>> And I can't find a screenie of my graphic equalizer that I wrote back
>> in 2005 and probably only Leinir remembers what I'm talking about. But
>> I thought it was cool. ;)
>>
>> Ian
>
> If it look cool I would like to see it :))) Maybe I'll like it and wish to
> port it ?

Yea I'm sorry I can't find it. Its code is in SVN and I could try to
build it somehow. Maybe install a Debian Woody or something I get it.
;)

Anyways the description of it is that instead of having 12 sliders,
you have a line that you drag up and down at points that you can add
and remove. Ideally it would be a smooth curve between points. Then
the actually eq points are calced in the background. Its much more
useful, though I'm not sure its easier to use since its not what
people are used to.

Ian