SVN closed for commits and Basic Git Groundrules

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sun Jul 19 21:12:24 CEST 2009

Hey guys,

As of r999404, SVN is closed for commits on extragear/multimedia/amarok.
Read-only.

Thiago is currently doing an rsync and will attempt the conversion. If
it fails he'll have to do it tomorrow; in this case I'll ask toma to
remove the read-only restriction until then and will let you all know.

I want to lay out a couple ground rules for our Git repo on Gitorious:

1) Never, ever create a branch in our mainline repo. Ever. You can do it
locally, but do *not* push it up.
2) Clone the repo and work on that. Add mainline as a remote branch in
your local copy of your cloned repo. This will allow you to easily merge
back and forth. Bart will work on the documentation for this and send it
around.
3) Pushing branches to your own clone of the mainline repo is fine,
however, if you are doing bugfixing or feature branches, use *ONE BRANCH
PER FEATURE/BUGFIX*. Gitorious will hopefully improve, but right now it
has a downfall in that you can only merge from the start of a branch up
to a selected end-point; you can't cherry-pick start and stop points. So
if you work on feature A and merge it, then feature B, and want to merge
in feature B, you'll have to merge from the start of the branch. So for
now at least, just use one branch per feature/bugfix.

That's the golden three. I think. Unless Ian remembers something I'm
forgetting.

More to come from Bart.

--Jeff