(delayed) GSoC status update

sandsmark at samfundet.no sandsmark at samfundet.no
Thu Jul 9 05:54:36 CEST 2009

Still stuck debugging (/understanding) my AudioDataOutput
implementation in Xine and GStreamer.

If I can't get it to work soon, I'm probably going to work on the
Amarok integration instead (my phonon-work won't be released until
next Phonon release anyways, which is due together with qt 4.6, iirc.
And I do get audio data, I just don't get sound out at the same time
:]). And this is getting frustrating. Though I think I know why what's
wrong with the Xine stuff¹, at least. And VLC 1.0 is released, which
means that jb has time to release the phonon-vlc source code (eean;
can you maybe bug him? I've tried promising everything from beer to
freshly scented toilet paper without luck, and now my IRC is rather
spotty).

So yeah, I'm now stuck in Ecuador with a rather spotty internet
connection (and a somewhat restrictive firewall, git and ssh works,
but not imap/smtp and quassel, which I have to tunnel through ssh) and
I'll be offline the next couple of days (quick trip to the jungle with
the family). I'll bring my laptop and I'll try to fix the Xine engine,
and hopefully come back a much happier guy, with a working
Phonon::Xine::AudioDataOutput.

The gstreamer backend is probably easier to fix (it's at least
possible to get answers from developers and other knowledgeable
people, and even proper documentation), but it (phonon-gstreamer) is
so buggy here, I don't think I can in good faith ask anyone to use it.

 - Sandsmark (alternating between mutt and squirrelmail)

¹, from commit cce6e5866ed8c1f4c8707b6ee8d55ae6d49197cb:
   “… the problem is that rewireto and friends seem to be just a ploy to
    throw me off the track. xinestream seems to just fetch the
    audiooutputport from its list of sinks, and then use that to
    initialize the stream, and since I use a null audio driver to
    initialize my plugin, that is also used by xinestream. I will
    probably have to somehow initalize a proper audio driver in
    audiodataoutput, and hand it over to audiooutput. or the other way
    around”