git-svn users: please squash commits on branch merge

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Sun Jul 5 12:07:48 CEST 2009

Unfortunately the problem with squashing branch merges is that a
massive commit wont get reviewed. As discrete commits, individual
commit emails are more likely to be browsed over and scanned by other
developers.

If you think that squahing big branch merges then it might be worth
bringing up a proper code review.

Play it case by case.

Seb

On 05/07/2009, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
> For those of you what are using git-svn, when you merge a branch back
> into the main tree to get it ready for an SVN commit, could you please
> squash your merge history so that you don't end up with a new SVN
> commit for each git commit?  I really don't think it's necessary to
> have the entire work history of your private branch put into the
> public SVN; that's kind of the point of the private branch.  Just big
> commit is a lot easier to review, and is kinder to SVN.
>
> If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's what your workflow
> probably looks like:
>
> [finish work on mybranch]
> git checkout master
> git merge mybranch
> git svn dcommit
>
> Please do this instead:
>
> [finish work on mybranch]
> git checkout master
> git merge --squash mybranch
> [edit the commit message so that it's appropriate the whole commit]
> git svn dcommit
>
> --
> Soren Harward
> [who tips his hat to Ian who posted this tip on the Git development
> page in the first place].

Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/
http://amarok.kde.org/